Thursday, March 29, 2012

And THAT is Why Laptops Were Invented!

This week was busy…still is busy. On Wednesday we visited with Jo An Fox to scan some AMAZING images from the Roger Fox photo collection. Just check out this shot of the Sheriff’s Department from the early 1900s. Love it!

Unfortunately, I might be tech savvy, but I’m certainly not portable. Packing up my printer/scanner/copier/fax machine? No problem. Kari volunteered her Mac laptop. It seemed like an ideal setup. But once we got there and got to work, the limitations of an ancient laptop became apparent. It was taking minutes between each photo to get the software ready to scan again. Add to that my clumsiness with both laptops and Macs. It turned ugly. After almost three hours I decided enough was enough and I returned home to disassemble my desktop computer, loaded it into the car and returned to Jo An’s house. In about three hours we had not gotten through one notebook of photos. Once I was set up with my own computer we got through three notebooks in like an hour and a half! But that still left two notebooks. Luckily everyone was able to gather again this morning and complete the project. And on the bright side, pulling my computer apart gave me a great excuse to do some major cleaning in my office!

It was a really great time. As if it wasn’t enough that Jo An was letting us paw through the entire collection, she got in on the research and was making calls left and right to help us dig up information. She even lent us a lightbox! Wow, now that is a truckload of help! And she was a simply delightful hostess while we invaded her home for two straight days. It’s going to be a happy day when we can deliver copies of our book to Jo An because I don’t know if it is possible to thank her enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment